Sunday, December 11, 2011

Walker and Kochs vs. voting:


I spent a few revealing minutes talking with a Tea Party member this morning. He tried to keep me from collecting signatures for a recall of Gov. Walker by telling me it was illegal -- for an American citizen to stand on public property and collect signatures.

I asked him whether he'd read the Federalist Papers. He hadn't heard of them.

I asked whether the Tea Party believed in corporate control of the government. He seemed to think it did.

When I suggested that he was wrong, he was incredulous. He scoffed at my ignorance and then took a video record to document my illegal action.

It was interesting.

So, in that context, the idea that American citizens don't have the right to a redress of grievances makes a certain amount of sense.

As does this:


John Nichols: Walker and Kochs vs. voting
Billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch finally got their way in 2011. For decades they funded the American Legislative Exchange Council, the collaboration between multinational corporations and conservative state legislators, and the project finally began to yield the intended result.
For the first time in decades, the United States saw a steady dismantling of the laws, regulations, programs and practices put in place to make real the promise of American democracy.
That is why, on Saturday, civil rights groups and their allies rallied outside the New York headquarters of the Koch brothers to begin a march to the United Nations, where they called for the renewal of voting rights in America.











3 comments:

Kevin Scheunemann said...

You are collecting recall signatures?

Wow. I never pictured you working on the recall petition coal mine that advocates going back to State of Wisconsin fiscal insanity.

I'll defend your right to collect petition signatures on public property-no matter how dumb.

The question is: would you defend my right to collect petition signatures to declare Psalm 71 as great work of literature, and have my representatives declare your birthday as "Psalm 71 day"?

Somehow, I do not think you would defend my right to petition for that on public property. Or would you?

Mpeterson said...

Kev, if you have a legal right to do so -- and I think you must -- then of course. Why wouldn't I?

Kevin Scheunemann said...

Ohh I don't know...might have something to do with your previous advocacy against disfavored religions being spoken in public square.

You are OK calling the tree in the Capitol a "Christmas Tree"?