Thursday, February 04, 2010

Another reader who disagrees about creationist candidates.

A letter to the editor.



If you like the Middle Ages, vote Weigand,Marquardt


There has been some scuttlebutt recently about the possibility of
creationists being elected to the School Board.

I support creationism being taught in the classroom, however, I
don’t want to stop there. I’d like to see alchemy taught alongside the
theory of “chemistry,” astrology alongside “astronomy,” magic
alongside “physics” and phrenology alongside “neurology.”

I wholeheartedly endorse David Weigand and Randy Marquardt for
School Board. I’d like to turn back the clock and educate like we live
in a simpler time, say, the year 1400 - and they are our best chance
at making that happen.

I believe Weigand and Marquardt can succeed where the Dover, Pa.
School Board failed in 2005. That School Board spent $2 million in
taxpayer dollars fighting a lawsuit after introducing “Intelligent
Design” (ID) into the classroom.

A godless Bush appointed judge sided against the creationists,
stating in his conclusion: “The proper application of both the
endorsement and Lemon tests to the facts of this case makes it
abundantly clear that the Board’s ID Policy violates the Establishment
Clause. In making this determination, we have addressed the seminal
question of whether ID is science. We have concluded that it is not,
and moreover that ID cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and
thus religious, antecedents.”

I for one think this decision is outrageous and ought to be
challenged again. I think Weigand and Marquardt (both good Christians
working in the construction trades from what I understand) are the
right people to challenge the Establishment Clause of the Constitution
and the taxpayers of West Bend ought to stand up and foot the bill.
Let’s put West Bend on the map for putting Christ (along with Houdini,
Shirley MacLaine and Franz Joseph Gall) back in the classroom.

Dan Backhaus town of Trenton

6 comments:

John Jost said...

Flippin' great, Dan, the irony makes the point stronger, but in the case of the most conservative in West Bend, I'm afraid that the noise heard overhead was the point.

DanBack said...

I'm not sure what you are talking about Mark. I thought I was quite clear in stating I am totally pro-creationism in the classroom ;)

There is another version of the letter with proper punctuation on my hard drive, but alas I emailed them the wrong draft.

Mpeterson said...

Sorry, I meant to imply that you disagreed with *me*.

But I think you've brought me around on this issue.

I think we need a pro-alchemy movement to counter all of these anti-freedom and anti-alchemy intellectuals forcing their stupid science down the kids' throats.

Still, nobody paid any attention to me last year when I wrote that column warning about the dangers of heliocentrism.... Let's hope we can do better this time.

Kevin Scheunemann said...

Mark,

If it makes you feel better.

I pay attention to you.

Sometimes, I even agree!

Does this give you "hope"? (in lieu of a deity)

Free Lunch said...

Dan,

I suspect that the really important point that will matter to West Bend's self-anointed 'finest citizens' is that they will have to decide between money and teaching their false religious doctrines in public schools.

If you have to pay millions in extra taxes and still not get creationism in the classroom, what's the point?

Good luck on the phrenology. I'm sure it will be coming back soon.

beesbess said...

Does this mean I can finally send my kid to school with his wand and potion jar?