Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A reader responds to my Eagle Forum column

Curiouser and curiouser.

A letter in this morning's Daily News about my column on the Eagle Forum a few weeks back.

University of Wisconsin-Washington County college professor Mark Peterson wrote that his “hobby since the 1970s” has been following my career. But he apparently didn’t learn much about me. Almost everything he said about me is just a mish-mash of feminist delusions.

It should be obvious that I never wanted women to be bound by alleged stereotypes because I worked my way through Washington University on the night shift testing .30- and .50-caliber ammunition by firing rifles and machine guns. That was hardly a typical stereotypical job, and it proved to be good preparation to defend myself against the cheap shots fired by whining feminists who were peddling the line that American women are victims of an oppressive patriarchy.

As a result of their ideology of victimology, they refuse to believe that women can be successful, and they resent women who are successful. That’s why they put down successful women like Margaret Thatcher, Condoleezza Rice, Jeane Kirkpatrick, Sarah Palin and myself.

Practically everything Peterson wrote about me has no basis in fact; he must have invented his litany of accusations on his moon voyage. His only true statement about me is that I oppose “federally financed and regulated daycare.” That was a major goal of the feminists in 1989-1990 because they believe it is discrimination for society to expect mothers to care for their own children. We defeated the feminist push for this expensive goal because the majority of American people don't want their tax dollars to provide babysitters for other people's children.

Phyllis Schlafly
President, Eagle Forum



I'd like to express my gratitude to Ms. Schlafly for taking the trouble to ask one of her interns to draft up this letter to the editor and prove my point.

[Let's face it, only an intern would have been tasked to respond to little old me, or have demonstrated the historical myopia to link Sarah Palin with fascinating, important, and literate, women like Maggie Thatcher or Jeane Kirkpatrick.]



hiho
Mp

2 comments:

CFinNaples said...

LOL! She's put herself in rather illustrious company, hasn't she?

A teacher had her in to enlighten the kids in our local high school a few years ago... Sorry the infection has spread to your part of the country.

Liked your column BTW, particularly the refs to your mom who was also on this woman's role model list as a teen.

Anonymous said...

And Ginny Maziarka is a disciple! The company these women keep is unbelievable - it's awfully damn dark in those ages, ladies! I wonder what these women would have done with Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Staton, and Sojourner Truth, the goddesses of women's suffrage and the "popular" beginning of women's rights. I'm guessing they would have hung them out to dry, most certainly because they weren't following God's Word (sic.), and one or two may have been lesbian. God forbid!