Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A reader responds to the Bible as most dangerous book column

Hi everyone,

I thought it'd be useful to post one of these letters that came in to the Daily News regarding my column suggesting the fundamentalists hadn't gone far enough in their book banning.

Marsha Wranovsky of Campbellsport wrote in.


Not the most dangerous book


Mr. Peterson, today I read your July 25 column, “Overlooking library’s most dangerous book?” At first I felt anger, even outrage, that what I believe and base my life on could be so disrespected and misunderstood. I really wanted to give you a piece of my mind. But then I thought, “What would Jesus do?” Jesus tells us to speak the truth in love.

Then I thought of Jesus’ words as he was dying on the cross. “Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing.” Luke 23:34. You must remember that He is praying for the people who just scourged Him with a whip that had many sharp pieces on the end that tore the flesh from His body, who spat on Him and mocked Him, who pounded a crown of thorns on His head and nails through His hands. This God who spoke the world into being, set His power and glory aside, humbled Himself and died on a cross for the sins of you and me. John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.” Mr. Peterson, the Bible isn’t the most dangerous book. It’s an awesome love story, and God loves you. I hope and pray that some day you will know that love.

Marsha Wranovsky Campbellsport

I suppose the scariest thing is that we now live in a country where perfectly nice people like Ms. Wranovsky here couldn't tell that I was providing an example of the very censorship our local fundamentalists are promoting.

But Ms. Wranovsky, the Bible is the most dangerous book to the status quo, to the entrenched power that oppresses the folks at the bottom of the economic and political ladder -- it offers hope and a reminder that, finally, it isn't power and money that matter in life, but love and compassion. That's the most dangerous idea of all. :^)

hiho
Mp

5 comments:

Daniel @ Burst said...

It just always come down to John 3:16 for them doesn't it?

Saying the Bible is an "awesome love story" is like saying the Third Reich was a PhD level course in organization. True enough, I guess.

Kristina said...

Hey did you catch the other letter that nailed Vrana? I must say I was proud I could raise the publics consciousness regardless if there was an ethics violation or not. You were right he dd not come away from it unscathed.
Yes, you can publish this.

wbneedsmartbloggers said...

I'm surprised that the original column (it's been 2 weeks and the lady just caught up with it now - I'm still waiting for Glen Grothman's letter to the editor)did not generate a whole slew of letters - really thought that would happen. Other than providing a lot of oxygen for commentators over at WISSUP & B/S, it barely registered on the local controversy meter. Which points out the little truth that the majority of people in the community are fairly neutral on the library controversy - have a passionate bunch of intellgent articulate citizens who are committed to defending the library versus Ginny & a few of her cohorts. Everybody else has other things to worry about & are not motivated to get involved in the issue either way.

"Column Fail", my ass! Keep up the good work, sir!

Anonymous said...

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Mpeterson said...

Yeah, Anonymous, that just didn't make any sense.